POSITION TYPE:Full-Time 12-Month
DEPARTMENT:013500 - Truck Crops Branch Exp Station
LOCATION:Central MS Area
POSITION OPEN DATE:Aug 24 2018
Truck Crops Experiment Station is located at 2024 Experiment Station Road, Crystal Springs, MS, which is approximately 30 miles south of Jackson, MS
Area of Specialization:
Horticulture and Genetics
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Follow research protocols, plan and implement field experiments, and harvest/record data in the field, greenhouse and lab setting
2. Plant, fertilize, scout for plant problems, cross-pollinate, propagate from cuttings and tissue culture, spray, weed, weigh, count, catalog, measure, and harvest
3. Grow and maintain quality plant material in the field, greenhouse and lab setting
4. Greenhouse production, including scheduling, monitoring the control system, and checking pH and EC levels etc.
5. DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, and gel electrophoresis
6. Safely handle, mix and apply pesticides and fertilizers
7. Meticulous record keeping
8. Data recording and entry into computer spreadsheets
9. Data analysis and technical writing
10. Assist with field days and other activities on the experiment station as needed
11. Update trial garden website
A Bachelor’s of Science degree with emphasis in Horticulture or a closely related field.
Salary and level will be commensurate with education and experience.
A Master’s degree in Horticulture or related field.
Ability to maintain lab sanitation like tissue culture and experience with DNA/RNA isolation, PCR, and gel electrophoresis preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Time management and organizational skilled required
Knowledge of data analysis and experimental design preferred
Fundamental knowledge of plant biology and genetics
Proficiency with computer programs, specifically Microsoft office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and initiative to learn new computer programs as needed
Ability to conduct experiments within a laboratory, including proper pipette use and ability to follow written protocols
Ability to work in hot or cold weather
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
Ability to work in extreme weather conditions. Requires heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to 50 pounds
Tobacco use is not only prohibited by the University, but it is a requirement for greenhouse sanitation to prevent the spread of plant diseases.
Instructions for Applying:
Please apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu.
Include references with their current contact information.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.