Title: Environmental Education Coordinator
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Status: Part-time, Year round
Compensation: $10-$12.50 hourly
FRIENDS of Great Salt Lake was founded in 1994. The mission of FRIENDS is to preserve and protect the Great Salt Lake Ecosystem and to increase public awareness and appreciation of the lake through education, research, advocacy and the arts. The long-term vision of FRIENDS is to achieve comprehensive watershed-based restoration and protection for the Great Salt Lake Ecosystem.
The Environmental Education Coordinator’s primary responsibility will be facilitating the 4th grade Lakeside Learning field trip program at Antelope Island State Park and Great Salt Lake Marina. This position will also participate in community outreach events, administrative duties, and other tasks as assigned by the Education and Outreach Director.
The EE Coordinator works with a diverse population of youth in a remote outdoor setting so must be comfortable acting as a facilitator for a group of 25-50 students. Since this position occurs in an outdoor setting it is essential the EE Coordinator be comfortable working in various conditions (biting insects, salt, sand, rain, sun) outdoors and be adaptable in the case of inclement weather.
Lakeside Learning field trips take place Monday through Friday, between 8am and 2pm during the months of April, May, June, September, and October at Antelope Island State Park and the Great Salt Lake Marina. The ideal candidate will be available during these hours. Additional work will generally take place during business hours, Monday through Friday, although some evening and weekends may be required. Although this position will average 20-25 hours per week, the weekly time commitment will be variable, with some weeks requiring up to 40 hours during the month of June for summer camp programs.
The EE Coordinator will:
- Assist in the coordination of our Lakeside Learning field trip program, including:
- Lead groups of 4th graders through a series of outdoor educational activities at Antelope Island State Park and Great Salt Lake Marina
- Coordinate field trip schedules with volunteers and teachers
- Prepare and maintain field trip gear
- Work with staff, volunteers, and program participants to evaluate Lakeside Learning and suggest ideas for improvement
- Co-lead Great Salt Lake Summer Camp (a week-long day camp for 4th and 5th graders)
- Coordinate participation in public outreach events and festivals
- Assist with the coordination and staffing of the annual fall fundraising event
- Assist with other FRIENDS of Great Salt Lake education/outreach efforts as needed, which may include:
- Design and create outreach items and educational materials
- Update existing curriculum
- Plan/staff special events
- Other duties as assigned
- Degree in Education, Environmental Studies, or related discipline preferred (2+ years of job experience will be considered in place of education)
- Responsible and capable of acting as a group facilitator
- Be comfortable working with youth in an outdoor setting
- Maintain positive attitude and calm demeanor in stressful situations
- Strong organizational skills
- Be self-motivated and independent
- Quick learner and willingness to learn environmental concepts, specifically those focused on Great Salt Lake
- Ability to do moderate lifting and walk up to a mile over uneven terrain.
- Must have access to computer and internet
- Social media platform experience
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
- Valid Drivers Licenses and own transportation (mileage reimbursement available when using personal vehicle)
- Pass Criminal Background Check
- Prior experience teaching environmental education
- Prior experience working with youth in an outdoor setting
- Familiarity with inquiry-based facilitation, place-based education
- Knowledgeable of the Great Salt Lake Ecosystem and local conservation, education, and management groups
How to Apply:
Email a resume, cover letter, and 3 references to Sarah Radcliff at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday January 26, 2018.