Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever
The Habitat Organization
JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Farm Bill Wildlife Biologist
Location: South Central Nebraska;
Gosper, Furnas, Harlan, Franklin, Webster, Phelps, or Minden Counties
Application Deadline: January 10, 2018
Anticipated Start Date: February 5, 2018
Starting salary of $30,000 per year increasing to $34,500 per year after 1 year of service with a favorable annual review.
Work in a joint capacity with Pheasants Forever, Inc. (PF), the Nebraska Game & Parks Commission (NGPC) and Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) to promote, coordinate and implement the conservation provisions of the Federal Farm Bill and other related wildlife conservation programs. Activities will include providing technical assistance, habitat planning, contract coordination, conservation plan modification, site assessment and reporting. Conduct and coordinate training sessions that include workshops and tours for landowners and resource professionals. Provide technical assistance for wildlife habitat enhancement techniques to private landowners and public organizations. Meet with local chapters of Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever on a regular basis to help coordinate and influence habitat management efforts and participate in statewide habitat meetings. Meet regularly with NGPC staff to coordinate technical assistance efforts. Implement specific conservation programs to improve wildlife habitat and public access. Assist or coordinate activities and projects as assigned by supervisor relevant to PF, NGPC and NRCS.
It is expected that the candidate will enter into a 90 day introductory time period where training will consist of working in close contact with the PF State Coordinator, other Farm Bill Wildlife Biologist Team members, and District NGPC personnel while being housed at their NRCS duty station. After the introductory period, the candidate will continue to have regular contact and receive direction from the PF State Coordinator with strong guidance from the NGPC District Manager and the NRCS District Conservationist. Candidate will serve on interdisciplinary conservation teams with NRCS and other partners.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication as well as organizational skills.
- Must be comfortable with public speaking and have excellent people skills.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service, sales and promotion to producers interested in conservation program information and enrollment.
- Must be able to work effectively with private landowners, governmental agency staff and conservation organization representatives.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse personalities.
- Extensive knowledge of wildlife habitat management techniques, principles, goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of conservation program offerings, including USDA Conservation Programs (CRP, CCRP, EQIP, ACEP, CStP, etc.) as well as state (NGPC) and local (PF) programs.
- Sound working knowledge of wildlife ecology and management and rangeland management including the ability to use various habitat management tools, such as fire or grazing, in the development of and implementation of a management plan.
- Ability to work under adverse weather conditions.
- Good computer skills including knowledge of: MS Word, MS Excel and Arc View.
- Valid driver’s license required with an acceptable driving record and history.
Training and Experience Guideline:
Any combination of training and/or experience that will enable the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities. A general qualification guideline for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management or closely related natural resources field and 1 year related field experience.
To apply, visit our website at: www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
ONLY APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED THROUGH THE PHEASANTS FOREVER WEBSITE WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please combine a cover letter that outlines your experience and interest in this position, along with a resume, and 3 references, as one MS Word document or Adobe Acrobat PDF file on the Recruitment website.
For more information about the position, contact Kelsi Wehrman, PF State Coordinator at 402-621-0744 or e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pheasants Forever, Inc. is an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled.